The city of Markham, located in the Greater Toronto Area, is a vibrant municipality that is alive with culture, theatre, history and art. It is one of the most ethnically diverse communities in Canada and there is always something happening there – from world class theatre to art gallery openings to museum exhibits. It’s only 25 minutes from downtown, but if your accommodation is based in Markham (such as at DelSuites Circa location) then there is plenty you can do in this area.
Markham Attractions and Activities
Here are a few fun things that you can do in during your stay in Markham:
- Check out the great exhibits and the fascinating historic village at the Markham Museum. This is an excellent place to go with kids, as there are a lot of interactive things to discover.
- Visit the Frederick Horsman Varley Art Gallery. There are always some intriguing art exhibitions at the gallery, plus a great calendar of camps, art classes, workshops and more.
- You can also check out some fantastic art by local contributors at the McKay Art Centre.
- In the summer, pick your own strawberries at Whittamore’s Farm. You can escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy a peaceful rural atmosphere.
- In the winter, go skating at the Markham Civic Centre Outdoor Skating Rink, located on Town Centre Blvd. Don’t worry if you haven’t brought your skates, you can rent them there.
- Play a few games at Markham Bowl, a bowling alley with 8 lanes of 10 pin and 12 lanes of 5 pin. It also has a snack bar and a full bar, so that you can refresh yourself with a beer.
- Every Saturday from 8am until 1pm you can check out the Main Street Markham Farmer’s Market on Robinson Street. You will be able to find delicious fresh produce straight from the farm, as well as handmade artisan crafts and much more. There is also live music to entertain you while you shop.
- Take a walk through the Milne Dam Conservation Area, which is the largest park in Markham with 123 hectares of area. There are many lovely trails through the lush forests and this area is a stop off point for many species of migratory birds.
- Test your smarts with an escape room experienced at Trapped. You will be locked in a room in a realistic scenario and you will need to solve puzzles and mysteries to escape while the clock is counting down!
There is plenty to see and do in Markham, so whether you are visiting for business or pleasure you won’t be bored. If you know of any other interesting things to do in this Greater Toronto destination, let us know in the comments!