Healthy workers are more productive workers – so what can you do to create a healthy workplace? Here are some tips to ensure that everyone is performing at their best.
Stretch Often Stretching will help to prevent back, neck and shoulder strain and it will also increase circulation which will improve alertness and brain function.
Encourage all of your employees to take regular breaks from their work and stretch. You might even want to organize a morning stretching session where everyone starts their day with some stretches together. Take Plenty of Breaks
Working too hard for long hours can cause burn-out and can make your employees tired, fed up and unable to concentrate. They will actually be more productive and alert and able to do quality work if they get regular breaks to recharge.
Create a breakroom area where your employees can go to recharge their batteries. It can have fun games to play, books to read, snacks, water and a few cozy places to sit. If you notice that one of your employees has been working on a project for a long time and they look a little bit tired or overwhelmed, encourage them to take a 15 minute break so that they can return to the work refreshed. Provide Healthy Snacks
Instead of offering donuts and muffins in the break room and during meetings, why not provide your staff with healthy snacks instead? Sugary food will cause them to crash, but snacks such as fruit, nuts, crackers and vegetables with dip will give them energy to keep going.
Drink Water throughout the Day Hydration is very important for health and drinking enough water throughout the day will help your employees in a number of ways. It will ensure that they are more alert, their immune systems are functioning well and they are able to concentrate better.
To facilitate your employees drinking more water you can place a water cooler in the office in a location that is convenient for everyone. Also, allow employees to keep water bottles at their desk so that they can sip water throughout the day. Use Ergonomic Chairs
The human body isn’t designed to sit down for many hours per day and most ordinary chairs will cause a lot of strain on the back and hips. Also, being hunched over a computer monitor and typing on a keyboard without the right support can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.
It is worth investing in ergonomic chairs and keyboards for your office environment for a healthy workplace, as it will make a big difference when it comes to the comfort of your employees. Make sure that the chairs are adjusted to the right height and angle to ease strain on the back and shoulders, as this will be different for each employee depending on their height.
These are just a few of the ways that you can maintain a healthy workplace so that you can perform at your best.
It can be difficult to stay in shape when you are on vacation or travelling for work, as you are jostled out of your healthy at home routine. You might end up eating out more and having a few drinks – which often means that you return home with a few pounds under your belt as a souvenir. In addition to using the fitness facilities at your furnished apartment in Toronto, you can also do these great at home workout exercises anywhere so that you can keep in shape while on the go:
This exercise will strengthen your core while providing you with a great stretch. Start by lying on your stomach on a mat or on the floor with your legs outstretched behind you. Your toes will be pointed toward the wall and your neck should be relaxed. Exhale while you squeeze your core muscles and reach both legs up a few inches off the floor. While your legs are lifting, float both arms a few inches off the floor as well. Hold for 20 seconds, then slowly release. 2. Push Ups This classic exercise is great for working the upper body, but it also works to strengthen your core as well. 3. Prisoner Squats These are basic squats, except with your arms up and your fingers laced behind your head. The hand position forces you to keep your chest upright and works your core muscles. 4. Downward Facing Dog This yoga position gives you a great stretch, as well as strengthening your abs and back. 5. Front Plank
This exercise is harder than it looks. Lie on your stomach and then raise your body up on your elbows and toes, keeping your torso and legs stiff and strong. Your body should be as straight as a plank and the only thing touching the ground should be your forearms and toes. Hold this position for as long as you can, breathing deeply, then lower yourself back to the floor. 6. Tuck Jump
Stand with your knees slightly bent and then jump up as high as possible, bringing your knees to your chest while you are in the air while extending your arms straight out. 7. Mountain Climber
Start on your hands and knees and bring your left foot under your chest while straightening your right leg. Keep your hands pressed to the ground and jump and switch legs. 8. Burpees
One of the most difficult but effective full body exercises. Start with a squat position and put your hands on the floor. Jump your feet back into a push-up position. As soon as you have completed one push-up, jump your feet back to the squat position. Leap up into the air as high as you can before you squat and repeat. 9. Wall Sit
Slide your back down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the ground and stay that way, like you are sitting on an invisible chair. It won’t take long to feel the burn. 10. Side Plank
From the plank position, roll to the side and come up on one of your elbows and the corresponding foot. Hold it for 30 seconds.
The advantage of staying at one of our furnished condos is that all buildings have on-site fitness centres, including swimming pools, cardio machines and much more. With the on-site recreational centres and these 10 quick at home workout exercises, you can keep a healthy routine without having to worry about the weather or go out to find a gym in an unfamiliar city.
Halloween is an exciting time for your little ones – they get to dress up in fun costumes and go door to door receiving copious amounts of chocolate and candy. However, it is important to stay safe during this time of year, as there are certain risks associated with Halloween.
Here are some important Halloween safety tips to keep in mind this time of year.
• Attach reflective tape to your child’s costume or candy bag, so that cars can see them better when they are trick or treating after dark.
• Make sure that the costume is not so long that your child would trip over it. Also, avoid masks that hinder your child’s vision as they might trip and injure themselves. Use non-toxic kid-friendly makeup instead.
• When your child’s Halloween costume includes makeup, make sure to test it on their arm first to see if it irritates their skin – before putting it on their entire face.
• Buy a costume that is flame-retardant, so that the material will not burn and pose a fire hazard.
• When trick or treating, only go to the houses that have porch lights on lit streets.
• Go trick or treating in a group and stay together. Older children can trick or treat on their own with friends and younger children can go with an adult. For very little children there are usually indoor events, such as trick or treating at the stores in a shopping mall.
• When your older children go out on their own, establish a curfew and ensure that they have a mobile phone so that they can call you if they need to.
• Give your child a flashlight to take with them when they are trick or treating. Make sure that the batteries are fully charged.
• Your children can also carry glow sticks which will help them to see as well as making them more visible to drivers.
• When you are carving pumpkins never let young children handle the knives without adult supervision. Have them draw their designs on the pumpkin and then you or an older sibling can do the carving.
• Instead of using candles in your pumpkin, which can be a fire hazard, use a glow stick to safely illuminate your pumpkin instead.
• When your child gets home, take a look through their candy. If your child is very young, take away any gum or hard candy that could cause choking.
• Make sure that your home is safe for when trick or treaters visit. Remove anything that might cause children to trip or fall while approaching your house and make sure that the lights are on outside at all times.
• Your children should have good road sense and should be in the habit of looking both ways before they cross the street, even if they are excited to get to the next house.
These are just a few important Halloween safety tips to keep in mind to ensure that your little ones have a safe and fun evening. What’s your favourite part about Halloween?
DelSuites has been in business for over 17 years. As we continue to grow, we constantly are looking for ways to make operations more streamlined and efficient. Erin Conaty discusses how our central laundry room is an integral part of our daily guest service operations furnished rentals.
Here in our central laundry room, we ensure quality control, receive deliveries and where all linens are washed and stocked.
All linen is inspected prior to folding and delivery to our furnished apartments Toronto. With this, DelSuites ensures we meet the needs of our guest throughout their stay.
Watch Erins video to find out more about DelSuites central laundry room.
Canada celebrates its 148th birthday this year and you’re invited! Whether you’re spending part of your long weekend at your furnished suite in Toronto or going away for the weekend and will be back in time for the celebrations, here are a few of our ideas and things to do on Canada Day 2015:
1. The Harbourfront Centre. Now accessible through the revitalized bike lanes on Queen’s Quay, the Harbourfront Centre is a central location for your Canada Day celebrations. Listen to the Sounds Like Canada: CaneFire series, be mesmerized by the Ballet Creole dancers, and stay for the fireworks off Lake Ontario. Bonus: it’s just a short walk away from your furnished apartment rental or suite.
2. Mel Lastman Square. Near our North York properties, Mel Lastman Square is the place to be to spend with your family in the early evening. Enjoy circus performances and face painting, followed by a variety of musical performances and the big fireworks finale!
3. Queen’s Park. In addition to the 21 gun salute at noon, the whole family can enjoy a rocket making workshop, face painting, and a midway among other entertainment from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
4. Rib Fest in Centennial Park. It wouldn’t be a Canadian celebration without some good down-home food. As one of our favourite things to do in Etobicoke, Centennial Park will have a number of activities alongside rib fest including musical performances, a cooking demonstration stage, and a kids zone. Located near our Nuvo and Parc Nuvo locations.
5. Toronto Events. As stated in our June and July calendars, many ongoing events will coincide with Canada Day. Perhaps, you’ll be at the Jazz Fest, the Pride Parade, or Luminato? If you’re more sports inclined, spend the afternoon at Rogers Centre where the Blue Jays play the Boston Red Sox.
Happy Birthday Canada! What are your plans? Do you have things to do on Canada Day 2015?