Productivity thrives on routine. Many people find themselves most productive when they set up a routine, good habits and a working environment that benefits them. However, when you are on a business trip and you are in different surroundings it can be difficult to stay productive.
Here are some tips that you can keep in mind to be more productive on a business trip:
Business Trip Productivity Tips
- Make sure that you have some work that you can do without being connected to the internet, such as emails you can write offline or word documents you can work on. If you are stuck in transit without a Wifi connection you can still be getting work done.
- If you have established routines at home that help you stay productive, such as waking up at a certain time and getting energized with a session of yoga, bring these routines with you on your business trip whenever possible. These simple things will remind you of a normal working day and will help you to become more productive no matter where you are. Whether you are staying in a furnished rental in Toronto or apartment, the building amenities are available for you to take advantage of including fitness centres or swimming pools.
- Being productive starts with planning, so create a list of goals and objectives you intend to accomplish during your trip and then break them down into smaller and more manageable tasks.
- Get as much sleep as possible. You are much less productive when you are tired, so turn off the television and get to bed early when you can.
- Make the most of the hidden pockets of time that happen throughout your business trip. You can listen to informative podcasts while waiting for the train, get some work done on your laptop while in transit and make business calls while walking from your furnished apartment to the conference centre.
- Use apps to your advantage. There are many apps that are designed to help busy people be more productive and get more done. Here are a few that you might find useful.
- Think strategically about keeping your electronics charged up, so that you won’t have to waste any valuable working time because you don’t have any battery left. Many airports and train stations will have plugs and charging stations, so keep up your battery topped up when you can.
- Staying in a furnished apartment rather than a hotel can really help you be more productive. You’ll have a separate working and sleeping area, so you won’t have to sit on the bed while you work like you would in a small hotel room.
Being efficient on the road can be a challenge, but with these tips you can be in your most efficient state when you are on a business trip and get lots of work done!
Energy costs have been rising dramatically and there seems to be no relief in sight. If you live or rent a condo or even a furnished condo in Toronto, here are some tips that will help you conserve energy in your condo, which will be beneficial for your budget as well as for the environment.
Cut Down on Air Leakage
Take a look at your condo and see if there are any areas where air can escape, such as through holes and cracks in the windows, floors and ceilings. A condo with drafts will require more energy to heat and keep cool, which really adds up. If you seal up these cracks you will see a difference in your energy usage.
Use Energy Efficient Appliances
When you are choosing appliances for your condo, make sure that you look for energy efficient ones that are designed to use less electricity and water. They might be slightly more expensive at the outset, but the savings that they offer you over their lifespan are significant. DelSuites furnished apartments are located in Tridel Built Buildings and some of these new buildings are equipped with Energy Star high efficiency front loading dishwashers and washers.
Take Advantage of the Sun
The sun offers you free lighting and heating, so take advantage of it as much as possible. Open the curtains on a sunny winter day on all south, west and east facing windows in order to warm up your apartment without having to turn up the heater. Don’t turn the lights on during the day when you can open the window instead.
Reduce Laundry Loads
Another way to conserve energy in your condo is to cut down on the number of individual loads of laundry you wash by filling the washer completely. However, avoid overloading the washer because the clothes might not get fully clean and will take longer to get dry. Consider hanging up clothes to dry if the weather is nice rather than using the dryer, as it uses a lot of energy.
Turn off Electronics
Many appliances and electronics have a “standby” mode which means that they use energy even when they are not being used. Anyhousehold device with a memory, remote control, clock or timer is using power even when its off – including the microwave and television. It might be a very small amount, but when you have a number of these appliances in your condo they can really add up. Set up a power bar that allows you to deactivate all of your electronic equipment with the flick of one switch so that you can cut down on phantom electricity use.
These are just a few simple ways that you can conserve energy in your condo. They are only small measures, but together they can add up significantly less energy used so that you can save money and protect the environment.
Healthy workers are more productive workers – so what can you do to create a healthy workplace? Here are some tips to ensure that everyone is performing at their best.
Stretching will help to prevent back, neck and shoulder strain and it will also increase circulation which will improve alertness and brain function.
Encourage all of your employees to take regular breaks from their work and stretch. You might even want to organize a morning stretching session where everyone starts their day with some stretches together.
Take Plenty of Breaks
Working too hard for long hours can cause burn-out and can make your employees tired, fed up and unable to concentrate. They will actually be more productive and alert and able to do quality work if they get regular breaks to recharge.
Create a breakroom area where your employees can go to recharge their batteries. It can have fun games to play, books to read, snacks, water and a few cozy places to sit. If you notice that one of your employees has been working on a project for a long time and they look a little bit tired or overwhelmed, encourage them to take a 15 minute break so that they can return to the work refreshed.
Provide Healthy Snacks
Instead of offering donuts and muffins in the break room and during meetings, why not provide your staff with healthy snacks instead? Sugary food will cause them to crash, but snacks such as fruit, nuts, crackers and vegetables with dip will give them energy to keep going.
Drink Water throughout the Day
Hydration is very important for health and drinking enough water throughout the day will help your employees in a number of ways. It will ensure that they are more alert, their immune systems are functioning well and they are able to concentrate better.
To facilitate your employees drinking more water you can place a water cooler in the office in a location that is convenient for everyone. Also, allow employees to keep water bottles at their desk so that they can sip water throughout the day.
Use Ergonomic Chairs
The human body isn’t designed to sit down for many hours per day and most ordinary chairs will cause a lot of strain on the back and hips. Also, being hunched over a computer monitor and typing on a keyboard without the right support can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.
It is worth investing in ergonomic chairs and keyboards for your office environment for a healthy workplace, as it will make a big difference when it comes to the comfort of your employees. Make sure that the chairs are adjusted to the right height and angle to ease strain on the back and shoulders, as this will be different for each employee depending on their height.
These are just a few of the ways that you can maintain a healthy workplace so that you can perform at your best.
It can be difficult to stay in shape when you are on vacation or travelling for work, as you are jostled out of your healthy at home routine. You might end up eating out more and having a few drinks – which often means that you return home with a few pounds under your belt as a souvenir. In addition to using the fitness facilities at your furnished apartment in Toronto, you can also do these great at home workout exercises anywhere so that you can keep in shape while on the go:
This exercise will strengthen your core while providing you with a great stretch. Start by lying on your stomach on a mat or on the floor with your legs outstretched behind you. Your toes will be pointed toward the wall and your neck should be relaxed. Exhale while you squeeze your core muscles and reach both legs up a few inches off the floor. While your legs are lifting, float both arms a few inches off the floor as well. Hold for 20 seconds, then slowly release.
2. Push Ups
This classic exercise is great for working the upper body, but it also works to strengthen your core as well.
3. Prisoner Squats
These are basic squats, except with your arms up and your fingers laced behind your head. The hand position forces you to keep your chest upright and works your core muscles.
4. Downward Facing Dog
This yoga position gives you a great stretch, as well as strengthening your abs and back.
5. Front Plank
This exercise is harder than it looks. Lie on your stomach and then raise your body up on your elbows and toes, keeping your torso and legs stiff and strong. Your body should be as straight as a plank and the only thing touching the ground should be your forearms and toes. Hold this position for as long as you can, breathing deeply, then lower yourself back to the floor.
6. Tuck Jump
Stand with your knees slightly bent and then jump up as high as possible, bringing your knees to your chest while you are in the air while extending your arms straight out.
7. Mountain Climber
Start on your hands and knees and bring your left foot under your chest while straightening your right leg. Keep your hands pressed to the ground and jump and switch legs.
One of the most difficult but effective full body exercises. Start with a squat position and put your hands on the floor. Jump your feet back into a push-up position. As soon as you have completed one push-up, jump your feet back to the squat position. Leap up into the air as high as you can before you squat and repeat.
9. Wall Sit
Slide your back down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the ground and stay that way, like you are sitting on an invisible chair. It won’t take long to feel the burn.
10. Side Plank
From the plank position, roll to the side and come up on one of your elbows and the corresponding foot. Hold it for 30 seconds.
The advantage of staying at one of our furnished condos is that all buildings have on-site fitness centres, including swimming pools, cardio machines and much more. With the on-site recreational centres and these 10 quick at home workout exercises, you can keep a healthy routine without having to worry about the weather or go out to find a gym in an unfamiliar city.
Let’s face it, Canadian winters can be cold. The streets ice over, the cold wind blows, the snow piles up and the temperature drops well below zero. If you are visitor to Toronto during the winter and you aren’t used to the Canadian chill, it might be a little bit of a shock to your system!
How do the locals survive? It’s all about being prepared and knowing how to handle the cold weather. Here are some valuable tips to stay warm in Toronto if you are visiting.
• You will absolutely need to bring with you a warm winter coat which will keep you warm and cozy on the bitterly cold winter days. It should be waterproof and wind resistant so that you can stay dry.
• You might need to shop for your coat as soon as you arrive in Toronto, if you are coming from a place where winter coats are not a common clothing item. Some good places to start are Sears, The Bay or try Winners. You could also find a second hand coat at a cheaper price at a store such as Value Village. If you have Canadian friends you are meeting in Toronto, they might even have a spare winter coat you could borrow during your visit.
• If your coat doesn’t cover your neck, you will need to wear a scarf to keep the cold air from blowing down your collar.
• Wearing gloves or mittens is also very important, as your hands and fingers will get cold very easily.
• Also, you will need a pair of insulated waterproof boots, which will keep moisture away from your feet and keep them warm.
• You will lose a lot of body heat through your head, so make sure that you wear a warm hat to prevent heat loss. In Canada this is known as a “toque” and you can find them sold in stores all over Toronto.
• In extreme cold temperatures in Toronto, fingers, ears and other exposed flesh can be at risk for frost bite. Make sure that you are fully covered up.
• The temperature can vary significantly throughout the day. Wear layers so that you can adjust your clothing to the environment you are in.
• When choosing the underneath layer that will be close to the skin, avoid cotton. It tends to absorb water, which will end up making you feel colder as it evaporates. It is better to wear synthetics, wool or silk.
• Make sure that you eat well before you go outside. It will help to get your metabolism going which will keep your body warmer.
• Limit your time spent outside and if you start to feel numb, tired or overly cold you should go indoors to warm up.
• Get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids in order to keep your immune system strong.
Keep these tips to stay warm in Toronto so you can be comfortable in the chilly winter weather. Do you have any tips to stay warm in Toronto in the winter?